1941 deHavilland Tiger Moth
The Australian Tiger Moth was built in Australia under license to the deHavilland Company in England. This airplane has an open cockpit, tandem seats, no brakes and a skid under the tail section. The struts are made of wood. Cables for operating the tail section are on the exterior of the fuselage. It was used as a primary trainer for pilots during WWII. The wheel pants are not original--the restorer wanted to dress up the plane and custom made these.
1946 Piper J-3 Cub
A classic American flyer that was simple to maintain and easy to fly. Many pilots have received their training in a J-3. Pipers were diversified in their uses. In addition to training, they were used for coyote and fox hunting, aerial surveying and photography, and crop spraying. The original 65 horsepower Continental engine was changed to a 90 horsepower. There are several sets of landing gear for the J-3, including rough terrain tires, floats and skis.
1928 Curtiss Robin
In 1992 in memory of her husband, Yvonne Schildberg presented the museum with this Robin. It is the oldest known to exist. It was the third one built at the Curtiss Robinson Airplane Plant in a suburb of St. Louis, Missouri. It is a 3-place cabin designed for two passengers and piloted from the front seat. In the process of being restored, it took eight years to locate some original parts. It is a well designed aircraft that was built to reduce the surplus of OX-5 engines from WWI. It is a slow flyer at 85 miles per hour. It weighs 1450 poulds and has a wing span of 41 feet. Many Robins were used in the late 1920s and early 1930s to set endurance and altitude records.
1929 Northrop Primary Glider
This glider was built completely of wood except for the metal control stick. It was a slow glider in order to teach rudimentary flying. Because of the short distance to the pedals, it was designed for young persons. Gliders such as this would use automobiles or horses in order to gain momentum to lift. The instructor would run along side and shout out instructions. When it came to a hill, it would be detached.
1937 Piper J-2
The J-2 was the first airplane built with the Piper name. Pipers became the most successful light airplanes between WWI and WWII. The J-2 weighs only 660 pounds empty and 1000 pounds with fuel, oil and occupants. It is a 2-place cabin piloted from the rear seat. It has the original 40 horsepower, 4-cylinder Continental engine. Orignal models did not have brakes. Since this one was flown in modern times, brakes were added for safety reasons. Piper discontinued making J-2s in 1937.
1941 deHavilland Tiger Moth, Canadian Model
This Tiger Moth was built in Canada under license to the deHavilland Company in England. Changes made for the weather conditions in Canada included a canopy over the cockpit, pins around the oil tank to snap on an insulated blanket, and the landing gear was moved forward 4" so it wouldn't dump its nose in the snow. It is powered by a Gypsy Major 1C engine rated at 130-140 horsepower. It was used as a primary trainer in Canada.
1941 Aetna-Timm Aerocraft
This WWII trainer was built in 1941 by Wally Timm of Glendale, California. Only six were built to compete for a military contract but because they were late getting into the market, the contract was never awarded to Timm. This airplane is Serial #4. It is the only one still in existence. It has a Kinner R55 engine, 160 horsepower. It has 2-place tandem seats, solo flights were flown from the rear seat. It has a hydraulic brake system that is cable operated. The Timm is an excellent flying airplane, easy to land and take off. It is capable of aerobatics. The blue apparatus sticking up behind the second seat was a required feature by the military. It is a turnover structure so if the plane is in an accident and lands upside down, the pilot could still get out.
1946 Taylorcraft BC12
This Taylorcraft was donated by the family of Hall of Fame member "Bite" Livingston. After splitting with William Piper, C.G. Taylor started his own business in Alliance, Ohio. By 1940, Taylorcraft had become the 2nd largest producer of light airplanes in the country. Production peaked in 1946 when they were producing 30 new aircraft each day. It has a side-by-side cabin and is flown with a steering wheel instead of a stick.
1957 Schweitzer Secondary Glider
This is a more advanced glider because it has an enclosed cockpit and was towed by an airplane. The Schweitzer people built the fuselage, struts and tail section. The company designed the high performance wings but contracted with several licensed mechanics to build them in the field. To our knowledge, only two were ever completed. This one has been flown over 800 hours which is a significant amount for a glider. It weighs 380 pounds.
1932 Mead Primary Glider
The Mead Primary glider was made in Germany and sold in kit form in the United States in the early 1930s. It was a slow glider because of the tickness of its wings--only 18 miles per hour into the wind. The big loops at the end of the wings and the wheels under the ski were add-ons to keep it from getting damaged when landing on hard surface runways in modern times.
1968 Pitts Special S1S
The Pitts was donated by Iowa's well known aerobatic pilot, Olie Pash of Harlan, Iowa, after his retirement. Tiny and nimble, the Pitts was a favorite for competition. Fully aerobatic, it can fly inverted as well as right side up. Wing span is 17 feet 4 incles, length is 15 feet 6 incles. Maximum speed is 185 mph.
1975 Easy Riser Glider
Easy Riser was one of the first glider companies to install an engine at the back of the aircraft, making it a forerunner of today's ultralights. It is powered by an 10 horsepower engine. This glider was a gift from Ernest Gruwell of Des Moines.
A-7D Corsair II
The Corsair was flown by the Iowa Air National Guard from 1972-1992. It was a lightweight attack carrier-based jet bomber. Top speeds of 685 mph. Donated by the Iowa Air National Guard.
AH-1 Huey Cobra Gunship
The Huey was an aircraft born of necessity. Huey transports and medivacs in Vietnam often came under heavy ground fire. Bell helicopter created the Cobra to provide closed air support for these missions. Bell stripped the fuselage from the Huey for a pilot and gunner. Winglets for weapons and a turret in the nose were added to provide the firepower necessary for its mission outline. This model of Cobra was equipped with an 1800 horsepower engine and capable of speeds up to 195 mph. This particular Cobra spent most of its operational life with the 1st Air Cav and was stationed in Alaska and Louisiana before being shipped to the National Guard in Waterloo. Donated by the Iowa National Guard.
1929 Pietenpol Replica
Rag Wing 7/8 scale ultralight built and donated by Eugene Jensen of Fontanelle, Iowa.
1931 Kari Keen
1931 Kari-Keen Coupe built by Sioux Aircraft Corp., which was originally Kari-Keen, Inc. in Sioux City, Iowa. One of only 32 built. Full cantilever wing. 90 hp Warner radial engine. Donated by Ralph Graham of Mendota Heights, MN.
First of 38 C3-R's designed by Lloyd Stearman. Powered by a Wright Whirlwind J6-7. Flew mail, cargo, and passengers between Omaha, Sioux City, Huron, and the Twin Cities in the early 30's. Was owned by Hanford Tri-States Airlines of Sioux City. Stearman was gifted to the museum by Randy Graham and Lisa L. Graham-Peterson in memory of their father, Ralph Graham of Mendota Heights, MN.
1973 Evangel 4500
Awaiting restoration. One of only eight built in Orange City Iowa, Serial #006. Used as a missionary aircraft for delivering cargo to remote areas. Discovered abandoned on the island of Yap. Donated by Jed Keck, Groesbeck, Texas.
A French Fighter Aircraft of WWI. The Nieuport was used by the American Volunteer Pilots of the Layafette Escadrille. Almost all of the top French Aces used the Nimble Nieuport during their career. Iowan, James Norman Hall, flew the Nieuport 17 while in the Layafette Escadrille. Plans built to 7/8 scale (Replica) by Richard L. Milburn